Meet the Maker Behind Kailyard Creations
Hello, I am Fiona May, founder, creator and maker behind Kailyard Creations and this is my story. I design and create handmade greeting cards that are individually-crafted and unique. They are also bright and cheerful with clean funny and punny humour that you can happily share with pretty much anyone.
I read a quote once that really resonated with me, “Find your Passion and your Purpose will Follow“. Having spent most of my adult life living apart from family and friends, sending happy mail was a way I stayed in touch (not much of a phone person… shudder).
Kailyard Creations started out of a passion for crafting, a love of good cards and wanting to offer an alternative to the impersonal and mass-produced cards you find in the market today.
Why You’ll Want to Stock Up
My card-giving philosophy is to match the card to the person and not just the occasion. I love how this approach creates a greater connection by choosing something based on their likes, quirks, beverage of choice, favourite animal… whatever makes them, well, them. So, have fun with this!
The Greeting Cards, Wine Tags and Reusable Gift Tags are made with 80-110lb card-stocks, patterned papers, rubber stamps, my own typography and painted backgrounds. The stamped images are coloured in using specialty alcohol-based markers, inks, water-colours and sparkly things. Then everything is cut out and built up in layers for a nifty 3-D effect.
I leave the inside of the cards blank ’cause versatility is the new black, right?! But really, the main reason you’ll want to stock up is because let’s face it, who doesn’t love giving or getting Happy Mail?!
What the Heck is a Kailyard?
I am a proud Scottish-Canadian and military wife so yes, we’ve moved… a lot! One of the first things I do in a new place is set up my “kailyard” which is a Scottish term for a wee kitchen garden, like a small herb &/or veggie patch. Since I wanted (needed) my business to be as mobile as my lifestyle, I named it Kailyard Creations.
How I am Saving the World
Like you, I care deeply about our environment and sustainable practices. In the immortal words of Kermit the Frog, “it’s not easy being green” but here are a few ways I am trying to do my part in combatting the “throw-away culture” and cutting down on waste and plastics.
- I make all of my cards & paper-crafts with materials that will last so they can be displayed for a long time. Some people even frame them!
- A2 Envelopes are provided with every greeting card purchased and are 100% recyclable.
- The 5.5×4.25″ cards with envelope fit inside regular letter-mail parameters so no special trip to the Post Office is necessary.
- Gift-Tags are designed to be re-usable. In fact, we have tags that have been making the rounds between family members for years now!
- I do not use any plastic sleeves or bags as part of my packaging.
- For local & in-person sales, I use kraft bags that are made in North America with 100% recycled papers & printed with water based inks. I also wanted to make them as reusable as possible so I don’t put any branding or tape on them. I just fold the top, punch a hole then close it with bakers twine. So it’s all recyclable, compostable & totally reusable!
- Shipping is done in either a rigid kraft mailer (locally sourced, made in North America) or a small box made right here in Victoria, BC by The SlotBox (https://www.theslotbox.com). They both use 45-80% post-consumer recycled content, are 100% recyclable and are also perfect for re-using.
Join the Kailyard Community
Become a part of the Kailyard Community by subscribing to our Newsletter. You’ll receive updates on what we’re up to, get special offers just for members AND be automatically entered monthly to win one of our individually-crafted greeting cards – hooray!